JANICE L. DICK
Box 88 Guernsey, SK S0K 1W0 Canada
Ph: (306) 365-4742
WRITING AND EDITING EXPERIENCE
Writing: Freelance, professional writer since 1991.
- Journalism: author of more than seventy book reviews, several feature articles in local newspaper, inspirational articles in national publications.
- Short stories: author of adult and children’s short stories
- Novels: author of four royalty-published historical novels, one Christmas short story, co-author of devotional compilation, one unpublished historical novel and one unpublished contemporary cozy.
- Blog: weekly blog from 2013 to present
- Editor of two chap books, co-editor of a devotional book, co-editor/co-compiler of a local church history, editor of a women’s event book, editor of Saskatoon’s Women’s Journey of Faith Magazine for five years. Experienced in content editing, proofreading and copyediting.
- Judge for fiction book and manuscript categories for The Word Guild’s Canadian Christian Writing Awards from 2006—2013.
- Judge for various contests with InScribe Christian Writers Fellowship 2016 and in the past.
- 2015—workshop on character and plot development at Spalding, SK library
- 2015—keynote and workshop for InScribe WorDshop in Moose Jaw, SK
- 2015—workshops for local writing group wwwInk
- 2013—workshops on Fiction Basics and Editing at Saskatoon Christian Writers’ Conference
- 2010—Community College Writing Course in Watrous, SK
- 2008 and 2010—workshops at Write! Saskatoon and Write! Canada (Guelph, ON), both with The Word Guild
- 2006—75-minute workshop Turning Life into Fiction for Write! Canada
- 2004—Adult Christian Education class: 5-lesson curriculum creation/presentation
- 2003 and 2006—fiction class facilitator for Write! Canada
- 2002—90-minute workshop From Pen to Publisher in Saskatoon SK
- Bookstores, book distributor conferences, libraries, community groups, seniors’ events, restaurant reading, elementary school presentations, writers’ groups, writers’ conferences, church groups, women’s groups—in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario from 2002 to the present.
- Professional development at writers’ conferences 2000-2014 (InScribe Christian Writers Fellowship in Edmonton AB; The Word Guild’s Write! Canada in Guelph, ON; Write! Saskatoon and His Imprint Christian Writers Conferences in Saskatoon, SK; American Christian Fiction Writers Conference in Minneapolis, MN; Writing Retreat in Colorado Springs, CO.
- Certificate of Completion with Christian Writers Guild, May 1995
- Writing for Children Extension Course with University of Regina, Oct. 1990
- 2.5 years of General Bible Studies at Bethany Bible Institute, Hepburn SK from 1972—1975.
AWARDS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Winner of the first Janette Oke Award, presented by InScribe Christian Writer’s Fellowship September 23, 2016. “The award will be given to someone who demonstrates a strong Christian commitment, a desire to impact society with family and Christlike values in their work, belongs to Inscribe, and is innovative or brave in their chosen genre. The committee is not looking for a similar theme or genre but a sense of commitment, conviction and a strong desire to persevere in their field.” (InScribe.org site)
- Winner of the 2003 & 2004 Historical Fiction contest for The Word Guild’s Canadian Christian Writing Awards, and shortlisted for the same award in 2005. Various awards for InScribe Christian Writer’s Fellowship contests in 1998, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2013.
- Local writing group WritersInk (2013-present)
- His Imprint Christian Writers (2003—2013)
- InScribe Christian Writers Fellowship (2004—present)
- The Word Guild (2004—2011, 2015)
- Chi Libris (2005—present)
- American Christian Fiction Writers (2006—present)
- Toastmasters International—ACS, CL (2003—2011)
- In a Foreign Land, Tansy & Thistle Press, 2017 (digital and print)
- Other Side of the River, Edition Two, Tansy & Thistle Press, 2016 (digital and print)
- Other Side of the River, Helping Hands Press, 2014
- Out of the Storm, Herald Press, 2004 (currently out of print)
- Eye of the Storm, Herald Press, 2003 (currently out of print)
- Calm Before the Storm, Herald Press, 2002 (currently out of print)
- “The Christmas Sweater,” Tansy & Thistle Press, 2016
- “Kolya,” InScribed, Forever Books, 2010
- “The Other Side,” InScribed, Forever Books, 2010
- “Martha’s December Dream,” The Lanigan Advisor, December 2000
- “Weinachten,” The Lanigan Advisor, December 1999
- “Simeon’s Gift,” The Lanigan Advisor December 1996
- “Simeon’s Gift,” Mennonite Brethren Herald, December 1991
- Educational Development Fund Gradually Decreasing, The Lanigan Advisor, April 1993
- Visitors from Ukraine, The Lanigan Advisor and The Watrous Manitou, November 2007
- “Moments in the Word,” Helping Hands Press, 2014 (part of a compilation with six Canadian Christian authors to create Uplifting Devotionals III)
- Reflections on John 6:7—8, Mennonite Brethren Herald, September 2001
- In My Father’s House, Mennonite Brethren Herald, June 1994
Book Reviews for Living Letter (Living Books Inc. monthly newsletter)
- More than 70 reviews from January 2001—June 2006